Saturday, January 22, 2011

Who’s Winking at You?


Tonight I’m grateful for our family dinners.  I love sitting at a round table like ours where we all look towards each other.  Our dinners are usually around 6p.m., a bit early for most, but it works with our schedules.  Jake is a super eater and loves vegetables.  What a lucky mom am I?  Hopefully, I won’t be kicking myself for this one when number two comes around!  To bad I’m not sitting at this table now, so I could knock on wood!  Anyway, his favorite veggie is broccoli. 

Before our meal we pray to God, and Jake ends our prayer with an exuberant, “Amen, Jesus!”  During dinner, we talk about our favorite part of the day and our sad part of the day.  I learned these dinner discussion topics from some of my mom friends at church.  It works!  Especially with our little guy, who doesn’t respond much to a “What did you do today?” inquiry.  These highlight questions prompt all sorts of discussion between the three of us.  Usually, the sad part of Jake’s day is something about a time-out at his MY Fun Time preschool program.  Listening to a four-year old’s perspective is entertaining.  We often have a hard time holding back our giggles when we need a serious correct that behavior talk.  Tony holds his hand over his mouth and has to look away many times.  This is a fun stage to be a parent!  We’ve finally made it through the potty talk at the table stage – phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment