Thursday, January 20, 2011

Leave No Planet Unturned

January 4, 2011
Today is Tuesday and I’m grateful for the choice our family has made to have me work part-time and have this time to spend with Jake. We are a family who values learning, exploring, reading and quality time together.

We are reading books about our solar system and spontaneously we make a model using toy balls and paper clips (the asteroid belt).  Each ball represents a planet: showing its order from the sun, size, and color.  Of course, it’s not exact, but the learning and fun is abundant.

When Tony and I were children, our books included Pluto as the ninth planet.  Reflecting on this makes us aware that new discoveries and refinement in knowledge are never ending.  It is important to question, wonder, explore and discover.  Jake, like most four year-olds, has a natural spirit of curiosity and excitement in discovering.  We hope to embrace his exuberance and continue to further develop his spirit of curiosity and revelation. 

We believe that children can use their gifts and knowledge to make positive impacts in our world and we are privileged to facilitate their discoveries as parents and as teachers.

                                             

2 comments:

  1. Kimberly! I'm so excited to see you are blogging! I had no idea! Adorable picture of Jake! Can't wait to read all about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joy! One of my resolutions is to take photos and journal about everyday moments this year. I find that I take a lot of photos of special events, vacations, etc. and forget about all the simple day-to-day happenings. We have so many simple days to be grateful for that I want to remember, hence the blog. Remind me again the name of yours...
    May I post a link under "My Blog List?"

    ReplyDelete